Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap

I'm always looking for ways to cut my grocery/household budget and came upon this recipe. I have been making this for about a year now. During this time of economic crisis I thought I would share. It really works and it only costs about $10 a YEAR!

1/3 bar of Fels Naphta, Ivory, Zote or homemade soap
3/4 c Arm & Hammer washing soda - this is NOT baking soda - this can be hard to find.
3/4 c Borax powder - this is found in the laundry aisle.
1 small bucket - about 2 gallon size

Grate the soap into a saucepan. Add 6 cups of water and heat on medium until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and borax and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups of hot water into the bucket. Add soap mixture and stir. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Pour into a container with a lid and let sit for about 24 hours. The soap will seperate and gel. Shake well and add about 1/2 - 1 cup per load.

I saved some of my empty laudry soap containers and after the mixture cools I pour them into these.

Do you have any cost saving tips?

No comments: