Tuesday, September 23, 2008

$10 and a Saturday Afternoon


I got a phone call from my Mom last Thursday and she asked me if I was willing to be involved in a plan that she and Megan had hatched up. "It's far out there!", she told me. (Usually the farther out there things are the more I like it.) So of course I said "Yes! What are we going to do?"
"We're going to build a kitchen table and benches for Megan."

"HUH?"

I don't know about ya'll, but with gas and grocery prices skyrocketing this year, we have been trying to figure out ways to do things cheaper. I know all the magazines give you all these wonderful ideas on how to save gas by walking to the store, work, etc. Uh......sorry........... I live 10 miles from the nearest store. Although I could probably use the exercise, it ain't happening. So we've been trying to cut in other ways.

Back to my table story. Some of you are probably thinking, How are these 3 women going to build a table?! Let me give you a little background. Megan has helped Micah build 4 houses (by themselves), Mom's been married to a builder for about 40 years and I've just kind of dabbled with building things here and there. Of course most of the men in the family (except for Dad) scoffed at our idea and made fun of us. That just made us all even more determined. We had something to prove. I told them it was just like sewing only we were using different tools. I won't mention any names, but one of the men folk sarcastically asked "Can I sew?"
So we meet at Mom and Dad's about 11am and over coffee Mom shows us several magazine pictures of what she has in mind. She became the designer. We had a plan. Dad told us that whatever wood he had we were more than welcome to use. So up to the barn we go to dig out wood. We finally get our saws set up and begin our project. Megan was designated as cutter. She can run a saw better than any man. If any of our professional builders would have been around, they would have fell over laughing at how I called out the measurements. Megan seemed to understand my "29 minus two lines" measurements. We spent about 6 hours on this thing and let me tell you, WE DID IT! This table is beautiful! As Dad was admiring our accomplishment he told us that we only had about $10 total in materials. What a way to save money! What would have cost Megan about $300, we only spent $10 and a Saturday afternoon! and...... had a blast doing it!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Helllllooooo Amy Mom did you disappear on us you havnt gaven us and update in 3 wks!!!!!!!!!!! where have you been>?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!